Summit’s CO2 Pipeline Otter Tail to Wilkin County
📢 Demand a robust Environmental Review 📢
In January 2023, the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission decided that Summit Carbon Solutions’ proposed CO2 pipeline and Carbon Capture project must undergo an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) process, the most rigorous form of Environmental Review available in Minnesota. The first step is the scoping process, during which the Minnesota Department of Commerce gets public input and decides the question: “What should be included in this EIS?”
Neither Minnesota nor Summit has any experience building or operating CO2 pipelines or carbon capture projects. Summit’s unproven claims about impact are insufficient. We need a careful analysis and credible assessment of how this project could affect our homes, lands, waters, and communities.
As part of this Environmental Review process, the Department developed a draft scoping document – a first proposal for what should be included in the EIS and is taking feedback. This is the public’s chance to suggest what issues should be included in the environmental review of this project —and why.
Comments are due by 4:30 PM on Thursday, May 18, 2023.
Suggested outline for comments:
- Introduce yourself: Who you are, where you live, and the reason you’re commenting (why does this matter to you?).
- Impact: Explain the potential impacts that concern you. These could include such things as: water quality, air quality, impacts on your community, economic effects, health, etc. Try to be as specific as you can!
- Importance: Why would this impact be significant? Who or what would be affected?
- Corrections? Did the Department of Commerce get something wrong in their scoping Environmental Assessment Worksheet? Let them know!
- REMEMBER! You don’t have to do the analysis for the Department or definitively prove what the impacts will be. At the scoping stage, you just need to identify the issues and potential impacts that you want them to look at further.
Sample issues & concerns about Summit’s CO2 pipeline project & CCUS in Minnesota:
Below are some issues that have been raised about this project that should be analyzed further, but this is by no means a comprehensive list. Feel free to bring your own experience and concerns to this process. You can express your support for or opposition to the project but note that these comments won’t be taken into consideration at this stage in the process.